Flood Insurance

Standard property insurance rarely covers the damages caused by a flood, so specific flood insurance is required, especially if you live in an area that is at high risk of flooding. Flood insurance covers the core system of your house, appliances, and personal belongings. This insurance does not offer reimbursement for items that are stored in the basement, regardless of their type.

Bishop Insurance recommends contracting flood insurance even if your area is not at high flooding risk, because heavy rain, rapid snow melting, and severe weather may cause floods in areas with low or medium flood risk too. Insurances covering earthquake damages do not necessarily cover flood damage, even if the flooding was a consequence of the earthquake. Flood insurance is backed by the National Flood Insurance Program with a fixed premium.

Contact us for more information about what flood insurance covers and how it can be combined with home insurance for extra protection.